•  

Photo
- - - - -

Living at Glen Ivy for a college student?

rv advice glen ivy rv park

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trailerdiva

trailerdiva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Hi, I am a full-time grad student and I am interested in buying a small Class C motorhome and wanted to know if you thought staying on my own at Glen Ivy would be safe or not. I will begin working at a near by amusement park, so the location is in good and the price is right. I just don't want to be stressed about my safety because I already experienced living in an area filled with junkies and other criminals when I moved out here for college and didn't know anything about the area or anyone here and definitely don't want that to happen again. At the same time, Orange County is crazy expensive for their RV parks and San Bernardino and the immediate surrounding area is just scary. Any suggestions and/or advice is welcome. It seems like the Glen Ivy RV Park is improving from what you wrote. My income is very minimal and that's added to the refund I get from my student loans each quarter, still not very much. Utilities included is pretty great.

Thank you!

#2 Branndon

Branndon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTraveling

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

I think it would be great for you. I've never really felt unsafe here. I don't know if you're aware of the traffic you'll hit between here and the amusement park, but it's probably an hour or more some days. There are all kinds of people here, most of them are good. I say come down sometime, and look around. Look on the map for spot 37. There are a lot of nice quiet trailers in this area of the park. I would recommend it for the cost and location.

#3 trailerdiva

trailerdiva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hi, thank you for responding so quickly!  I did sign up for the newsletter, it's just under a different email connected to this same box.  When I tried to sign up from the link in your email, after entering my name and email, it said "page not found", so I had to go to the main page and signup from there - just letting you know.  I really appreciate that you wrote me back.  I know it's going to be far, but I did buy a transponder for the 91 express lanes - it only goes for 10 miles, but it helps a little.  I'm hoping that I get scheduled when there is less traffic to fight and I am pretty much just working weekends, so hopefully just fighting beach traffic.  

I haven't purchased yet and have not so perfect credit (mostly school loans), so I hope it's not too problematic.  I will be able to put about $2000 or more as a down payment.  I have also been combing craigslist and online, but may need a dealer to get financing.  I'm trying to not spend over $12k all together, even better if I can spend about $10.  I don't own a truck, so that's why I want a Class C motorhome that I can drive and handle.  I have experience driving a 24 foot truck, so I know that I am comfortable with that size if I have to move it.

Thank you for your blog, I think it's really great and informative.  I have wanted to get my own trailer and live in it since the late 90's.  I lived on a teeny tiny 22ft sailboat in San Pedro I bought for a grand for a while and that was really challenging, but I learned a lot.  It will be so much easier in a RV.

Thank you!

#4 Branndon

Branndon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTraveling

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'd really suggest not getting a payment or spending that much if you can. Financing is just something I'd stay away from, especially an RV.

We found our trailer for 4k, and have put money into replacing things. Our neighbors here got theirs for around a grand. Granted these aren't great, but there are no payments. Also we both live in trailers, and don't own trucks. 

You can sell the trailer when you're done, and you'll never have to move it. You can also hire someone to pick it up initially and bring it here for you.

Just some things to think about :)

#5 trailerdiva

trailerdiva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Thank you again for the advice - you're both really awesome to share and I appreciate it very much.  I have wanted to do this for so long but fear and listening to people that have no idea about trailers has made me stay in apartments and rent.  I have seen some nice trailers that have washers and dryers and are a great size, but not for $4k.  I always thought I would be giving up control by not having the ability to move the trailer at will, but hearing that you all and your neighbors also have trailers without the ability to move them on your own makes me feel better.  I really don't want to have payments, just want a nice trailer.  My plan is to get a motorhome by the time I finish my master's degree to move back east easily, so I guess I could just trade in the trailer towards the motorhome when I'm all finished.  I also thought a motorhome would be good in case I wanted to move it to stay near work on the weekends and crash somewhere around there in an unofficial spot if driving there became too much.  

I would initially have about $2000 - where can I find a decent trailer for such a low price as you and your neighbors did?  I probably wouldn't have the ability to really fix anything, so I need it to be relatively functional.  What kind of expenses did you incur on repairs - what have you had to fix/replace?  What did you do in the meantime while waiting for things to get fixed?  I worry a lot about this since I am alone and I especially don't want to be taken advantage of - just getting my car repaired always turns out to be such an ordeal.  Is it just better to stay with a friend until I can save up more?  I just hate paying rent when it's not towards my own home, you know.  Seeing what a nice trailer I could have had by now if I were more open to living farther away from L.A. before makes me annoyed for not listening to myself and what I wanted to do.  My last apartment in LA was $1295 a month plus all utilities, including sewer and trash and renter's insurance.  What is your insurance payment like and have you had to make any claims?  I'm looking to buy around the 3rd week of September.  I could put a bit more down, but I wanted to save some money for space rent deposits and any unforeseen costs.  Also, what year is yours?  Aren't there park regulations that require you to have a certain year and condition?  Also, I was reading your article about state taxes.  Did you register your trailer in CA?  I think I can register it through PA, not sure how that would work if the vehicle is not there.  

Thank you again, I know I ask a lot of questions, but like you, this is my first time investing in something so big and I don't want to relive my poorly planned boating experience again.....

#6 Branndon

Branndon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTraveling

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

Wow, so many good questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

We found our trailers on Craigslist. Ours was listed for 4500, but had a salvaged title, and some slight damage. The brand name is Carriage which is the exact company we wanted! They make quality trailers, so we knew we would like it.

We've replaced the toilet, bathroom faucet, kitchen faucet, water filter faucet, some light fixtures and the air conditioner. I did all the work myself, as I'm pretty resourceful. To live in an RV, you have to be willing to adapt. You can be without running water for hours/days, maybe not have a fully functioning toilet, and have to use the parks bathrooms. It's a tradeoff for the freedom of owning your own place, and being able to take it anywhere you want.

We were paying $1500 for rent, nothing really included in that amount before the RV. We moved into the RV out of necessity financially, as well as it was on our vision board for a long time, and we were sort of thrust into it early.

We registered in CA, once we actually leave the state, I'll be looking at other "home bases".

If you're not too handy, and don't want to pay someone to help fix your things, you may want a newer unit. Ours is a 2001. Remember though, RV's aren't built to the same quality as houses, and the fixtures are usually designed for occasional use, not daily use. Things do ware out faster, and need replacing more often. Repairs for the most part are I'd say beginner level. Pliers, a screwdriver, and you should be good for most things. I think all the things I replaced used this, plus maybe a wrench or two for the air conditioner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users